So get this, I slept in on Sunday after a late Saturday night out. Woke up, and for the first time, I didn’t have to rush somewhere to run errands or to meet friends etc. It actually felt nice in a weird manner that I didn’t have to do anything much without feeling like my weekend was completely wasted.
Happily I laid by on my couch and off I went, catching up on the latest DVD which I had bought the weekend before. My first choice had to be Becoming Jane. My brothers’ collection of other action movies did not interest me whatsoever. So I find myself, swirled back into time……

In the winsome, heartfelt trifle Becoming Jane, the young Jane Austen (Anne Hathaway), a budding artist in a world where art by women isn't taken seriously, finds herself trapped by the very romance that has set her free. She meets Tom LeFroy (James McAvoy), a rascally lawyer, banished to the countryside by his scolding benefactor of an uncle, and after the usual gavottes, impish-insult flirtations, and peering through the leaves at skinny dipping hunks scene, she falls for him (not surprisingly)! In speculating how Jane Austen became the writer she was, the film views this man through her eyes and offers a not-bad thesis: “To understand love is to confront the agony of losing it.” All in all, it was a rather charming and enjoyable affair!




I was rather sceptical of the movie initially as I was never a big fan of English literature. Surprisingly enough, I actually enjoyed myself. The only reason why I had bought this movie was because of Anne Hathaway. I enjoyed her other movies, in particular Princess Diaries and Devil Wears Prada.
Later that night, I watched my all time favourite tv show. Beauty pageant. It is the time of the year again. In previous years, I'd monitor the pageant news as to who’s who, who’s the favourite amongst the media and what not. It was mid-Jan before I realised that Miss Chinese International Pageant 2008 will be taking place. I had a quite glance at the usual beauty pageant websites and skimped through the delegates’ profiles this year. I really thought KL should at least have made it to Top 10 but I guess I was wrong. After having watched last night’s pageant, I am convinced that these pageants are biased and rigged!
But I guess it’s no fault of the judges since they’re mostly HK celebrities and well known people in HK, surely and possibly even mandatory that they are required to ensure that Miss HK makes it to top 3 placing. It would have been alright if Miss HK satisfied at least 2 out of the 3Bs (in my humble opinion) – (i) beautiful, (ii) body, and/or (iii) brains. Needless to say, I didn’t think she deserved the title. You are of course entitled to your views. Maybe she’s smart, she did make it to Top 15 and even won a title at Miss Universe last year.
I’m happy that Oceane Zhu, Miss Paris won. She didn’t strike me initially as having the “winner” look but over the 2 hours of the pageant, slowly it began to sink in. She was definitely deserving of her title and most of all, she had that charm in her. Charisma and quick wit. Notwithstanding that she’s only 20, she’s was calm and put on her best show! She appears to be bubbly and had a cute personality. In one of the segments (where the delegates had to role play based on a short video clip), Oceane played the role of a friend who was being accused of “stealing” her good friend’s boyfriend and having been slapped by her friend, she was suppose to look pitiful and shocked, instead she actually barked at her friend rather angrily. I thought it was quite hilarious. She definitely scored points there!

Official profile.

Swimsuit

Crowning moment.

Group picture.



No comments:
Post a Comment