Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Reality check.

They say life is short. A friend once joked "What else other than life is longer?"
When you're in moments of depression, you'd wish your pain would go away and wondered if life could ever be any longer. You celebrate your birthday and count the days you've lived. Have you ever wondered maybe it's counting down to the days you have left to live your life? The sad truth is life is indeed short. You often hear people say "live live to the fullest", "appreciate those around you" and that "life is fragile". How have we taken those words for granted. We simply do not realise that in a split second, anything can change your life. There will always be the "what ifs" and the regret for not doing what you had always thought about and wanted to do. No doubt, it's always easier for me to tell someone else what I think is right and is best for them and which they should do. I also came to realise, it's never that easy to actually "do" it when someone else asks me to do something which they think is best for me. Procrastination always has its ways. Either that or I'm just not as brave as I thought I am. As it is, I already have difficulty coming to terms during difficult moments and what more putting words and thoughts into action despite my mind telling me that I should be doing the right thing.
I received news on Sunday that a friend has passed on. She's no longer with us and is (hopefully) with God in his Kingdom and in his good care. I could not believe it. It was all too sudden. Questions (being the inquisitive lawyer I am) that popped to my head "HOW?" "WHEN?" "WHERE"..... There will be answers to those questions. The only question which will remain unanswered is "WHY?" Why her? Why now? Perhaps we'll never have the answers. The only consolation I can provide to her friends and even to myself is that she's in a better place and God will be providing her with his unconditional love. Although our times together were short, she has already left a great impression in me, and for that I'm thankful and honoured to be able to have known her as a wonderful friend. Our memories will always remain close to my heart.
The clock just struck 12am. It's yet another new day. Life goes on. Later today, I'll be bidding her farewell for the final time. To those fun times we had. When you turned over to me and made me laugh with your comment "Eh, you see that dress? Damn ah lian right?" That time when you were too shy to take the picture of the beautiful desserts displayed over the counter and sneakily slid your digital camera into my hand and although having snapped dozens of pictures, you're just not "feeling it". Thank you for uploading our fabulous pics. You were amazing and beautiful in those pictures and always will be.
It is only a matter of time before you are reunited with your family and loved ones. For now, rest in peace Shu Zanne.
Love.

No comments: