~ When our memories outweigh our dreams, we become old~
Those were the famous words of Bill Clinton. A simple message from a friend whom I met during my first year at Sheffield led me reminisce the good old days back then. For many have simply forgotten, or might have buried those memories deep down in their heart. As for me, I never imagined I'd miss those days so much!! What made them so different from the days after?
I vividly remember the first days I moved into Ranmoor Halls. I was initially allocated to live in the main block of the halls, whereas all my other friends were to live in the annexe. I was crushed when I saw the condition of my room but told myself I'd have to make do of the shabby room. My first impression of the room wasn't great to be honest, the room faced the main street situated behind the halls. The bed was situated in such a position that it was facing right at the door, which according to mummy was not good feng shui. Apparently, if such was the case, sleeping on it for a long period of time would make me sick always. So I moved the bed to the other side of the room.
Luck was on my side, I had put myself first on the waiting list to be transferred over to the annexe. And that was when the girlie days began for me. I had the opportunity to get to know a whole lot of other asians, most of them were malaysians studying for their final year in sheffield. Those were the days when we would all get ready to go for class and for meals today. There was me, Susan, Irene and Kelly in particular who stuck through the times. The initial crowd decreased in number as the days passed. But it was great fun.
Breakfast was either sausage today and bacon tomorrow or vice versa. Lunch during the weekends were not very tempting. Occasionally on special occasions, the food would be great! Really miss those days and the company and the late hour chats. Me and Irene would sneak into susan's room and watch Meteor Garden, the entire series in a couple of days. We would sit on her bed each hugging a soft toy and watch the romantic scenes wondering when that'll ever happen in our lives, or will it ever?
I think those days really formed a part of me. I loved my room a lot. Even though it was small, it was fun because the moment I step out of my room, I could hop into another's room and start chatting! The sound of the doors closing still rings a bell in my head. People walking past your doors, even the smell of the perfume they wear lingers along the corridor. Cooking at midnight hours in the small kitchen, stuffing our groceries in the so very small fridge which had to be shared amongst at least 15 of us. Chatting outside the doors, having last minute revisions along the corridor, and i mean literally sitting down on the floor with our pyjamas and bunny slippers until we were able to make ourselves go to bed!
Then in the second half of our time in Ranmoor, we hung out more with Yvonne, my neighbour, Cynthia and Liih Miin and dear Aik Kiong. Cooked dinners together, played cards in AK's room, ordered take aways occasionally. Oh, and also the horrible washing machine, they only had 2 of them to be shared amongst us all. The frustration of having to carry your laundry all the way downstairs only to find out the machines weren't working or has been occupied. But still we survived. I wonder if anyone actually misses those days just as much as I do?
Are we actually growing older or do our hearts want to stay young forever? Friendships grow, they alse fade away just like love . If anything, reminiscing those days make me appreciate the friendships which survived those days ...
Although I love London as it is, I know I really really MISS those days ...



No comments:
Post a Comment